My New Sorbetto Top!

When I sat down to write down my goals for 2018, I decided that this year, I was going to learn how to make garments that fit me. Quilting is definitely going to remain my main focus when sewing, but I've been losing a lot of weight and purchasing clothes that fit was getting expensive and felt wasteful. By learning to make and alter my own clothes, I'm hoping to save a little bit of money AND end up with some really cute "one-of-a-kind" pieces.

When searching for a fast and easy pattern, the same top kept coming up: the Sorbetto by Colette Patterns.

I purchased some cute fabric a long time ago and planned on making a dress for my grand-daughter, but there was a lot of it so I took some to make my Sorbetto.

Please forgive the messy hair and no make-up look! 
The top sews up really quickly and I love the pleat in the front. I really like where the top hits me in the hip area, but I think the fit could be a little bit better at the neckline and the armholes.

I learned that applying bias tape to a neckline and armholes isn't quite the same as sewing binding on a quilt! There are some visually unappealing pleats in the binding but I'm pretty confident that with more practice, I'll get the hang of this.


After completing the top, I found a sew-along for the Sorbetto (all 3 versions) with many, many tips for fitting and adjustments. So I'll make a few adjustments to the pattern and make at least one more of these.

So stay tuned for more Sorbetto tops soon!



I will be celebrating this first garment finish by linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at Powered by Quilting for TGIFF.

Comments

  1. Very nice. Yes, the bias tape application takes a bit of practice but you’ll get it in no time. You may have found this tip already, but I’ve learned that getting the right fit for the neckline, shoulders and armholes is easier if you go down a pattern size then do a full bust adjustment and increase the waist and hips if necessary. Whatever you do, don’t stop! You are off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beautiful! Congrats on your weight loss and on making a garment. Love that fabric color. Can't wait to see what else you make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for you branching out. Gook luck as you explore garment making...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice top!!! I have not explore garment making yet... I'm still a little too nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this! I have been trying to make a few tops lately too; I like the contrast binding, might give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started with garment sewing way back in the day! I sewed for myself, my kids. But as fabric and patterns got more expensive and ready-made got cheaper, I quit. Now it's been 40+ years. I may try a few sundresses for my great granddaughter who will be 2 this summer. You did a great job! Good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great. The colour looks great on you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice top! I have tried the bias binding on neck holes and arm holes a few times now and it does get easier each time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on hitting a 2018 goal and getting into garment sewing!!! the top looks fantastic and will be perfect when summer finally shows up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great fit! The pleat does add nice detail!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment